Dog Around Town

Dog Around Town
Click on my Image for interesting short history of Dalkey Village, my home town!!

Monday, February 6, 2012

Dalkey Dog Discovers Chess.....

I first must appologise for my long absence, I had a very inconvenient illness, and my assistant was very boring indeed, not allowing me out too much around town, while I was getting better.  They were so busy with me and other things that they did not get a chance to catch up with my entries... bother the thing is, paws and claws are just not up to typing on keyboards... so.. I now that I am a little better, I have asked if we could at least include a few main news items that took place over the last while...  Just before I got sick, I was invited to attend the inaugural Dalkey Chess Championship.. this was really cool, and I do hope that it continues, as my own boy was once a school champion at chess and it was so much fun for him... and a great learning experience too.. Chess has a cool history... and has a lot  to do with math amazingly enough...

I only made it to the afters of the competition... but then, that is my favorite part of these events, as often the children are very happy to see me, and the best part is there is usually some pretty good snacks left for a hoover nosed reporter like myself to discover, and tasty treats they were too!  
Hmm what a nice smell!!  popcorn perhaps?
Oh my... See these pictures of me with some chess pieces, I wonder if there has ever been a dog chess champion?  hmmm  ... I bet I would do well!!  Check mate!!
Don't I look proud!!!
 Hey, look up there, now if I were a kid, I'd love to be taught in as colourful a classroom such as this.. it's neat!!
I'll bet there was some fun learning with those colour wheels!
I was very excited when I received this from a fellow reporter who attended the event, it was so well written I decided to post it here...along with a good photo of some of the young champions.  Congratulations!!
Dalkey Dog friends & Champion, cool!.. teehee...
All the primary schools around Dalkey are so much fun.. there is always something going on... have a read of this event....
Dalkey Schools’ Chess
Competition 2011
                    
This inaugural chess competition was held on Sunday December 4th    in the Harold Boys’ School NS in Patrick’s Street. The event was run in conjunction with the Dalkey Business Group and our local schools. This was a non profit making event with the aim to promote chess, enable children to represent their school and keep it all local.

Thank you to Harold Boys’ NS for hosting the event. Their hall was a perfect venue and very convenient. Thank you to Eurospar for sponsoring runner up prizes. Thank you to all the parents who were involved, chess teachers and Ivan Baburin our adjudicator.

Thanks to all the supporters who gathered in the hall, dodging the showers and waiting to enjoy the rest of the activities in Dalkey on the day. We were also visited by Megan Hound, the Dalkey Dog about town.



Congratulations to Castlepark school who won triumphantly on the day. Harold Boys’ NS came in second place and runners up St. Patrick’s NS and DSP put up a good show against these experienced teams. Concentration was intense and energy was high in the room from all the players and it is certain that all the players enjoyed the afternoon.

There was talk of the possibility of a new chess club in Dalkey….so here’s hoping this is a start with lots more to come.


I'd like that too... oh look... some more crumbs for me!! teehee!

 I do hope the organizers have luck with this as my assistant says that Teachers should take note that Chess is fun and extremely good for developing thinking skills... They could get some very good ideas by clicking on that link.   I wonder if I could better thinking skills by learning this game?  What do you think?? 


No comments:

Post a Comment