Dog Around Town

Dog Around Town
Click on my Image for interesting short history of Dalkey Village, my home town!!

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Dalkey Dog Discovers some New Business

Dalkey Business Group

Well, sniffing around this afternoon, I discovered some interesting news, it seems that unlike some towns around this country, Dalkey is holding it's own business wise.  One of the reasons for this has been the formation of the Dalkey Business Group, which has taken on task a commitment to help and look out for the businesses and those involved in them.  This is just so cool... it is run by local business people and traders and is just a shinning example of how communities could/can help keep their neighborhoods alive during bad economic times.... I just LOVE DALKEY


By holding it's own, I mean, I discovered that, unlike some areas that are losing their businesses to the economic crisis... this little village, actually has NEW businesses starting up.. and some of them are really going strong... I was looking into this, and decided I would take my assistant up the town and get the scoop on a sample of these...


Charity Begins at Home

Hmm that dumpster smells interesting... oh bother.. that van is in the way... oh look!!  there is that Childrens Charity Shop that appeared recently.... let's go have a look.. come on assistant, stop chatting with people, we have a job to do!!!  Why, I think this place is called Charity Begins at Home.. hmm, from what I gather about it, it is an Irish Charity, and this is just one of several of it's shops. It  targets the wishes of specific disabled/disadvantaged children and then raises money for that specific need, by getting folk to donate unwanted items to sell for that specific purpose.. or so I understand... hmm sounds like a neat thing... The particular person they are raising funds for at present is a young local girl called Niamh... there is a website for her too..and Niamh's Wish to Walk. he is looking to have an expensive operation on her legs so she can walk again... poor Niamh.. I love kids.. maybe someday I will get to meet her...


Oh dear there is a bear in here.. can I come in Mr. Bear?? what? the nice volunteering teenager says I can if I am good?  Well, then I guess we will...


Look at all these neat things... toys, shoes books.....

And the prices are right too!!  one could pick up alot of inexpensive stuff here for Christmas.. hey.. at that price 5 items for 10 Euro.. I could buy alot of t-shirts... teehee.. they are looking for volunteers and items for sale.. so if you have some stuff to give, or time on yours hands, it might be a plan.. sadly.. dogs are not allowed bother.. I tried to donate some dog hair, but they politely said no... maybe they had too much already... anyways, I do want to say that the young volunteer I spoke to was most pleasant... and I do hope it helps Niamh get better and walking again.  Wait.. what's that smell..??  it is delectable and scrumptious..and.. oh so fishy!!! Quick.. let's go... and stop hanging back...



Roberts of Dalkey

MMM... yum... yah.. oh what a lovely fishy smell... and what's this?  No  video shop??  Well, this looks much more promising.... look at all the people having a look around.. Peter Roberts, of Roberts of Dalkey, came out and explained that due to those pesky health and safety rules I was not allowed in, but he would give me a bit of info here on the corner anyways.. He told me that this shop was the fulfilment of a dream and also hard work... Peter, although a local resident to Dalkey, spent 4 years learning the fishy trade and flaying fish in Howth, before this corner shop opportunity became available.. and he has snapped it up... and taken the chance... hmmmm I do so hope he does well and stays.... for me,  this is one heavenly smell to have on our high street, and he is a young man that certainly deserves a chance to succeed..You can also find him on Twitter at @RobertsofDalkey.



Here is the immaculate fish and meat counter...


Beautiful mussels or are they Oysters??  I'm a dog, so I am not sure but they sure look yummy.....



He sells many other wonderful products that can compliment a fishy or other meal....






And to balance it all out... you can add your vegetables in store too!!!






Afters???  Yup... some   sweeties for afters as well... yummmmm....



Now, this guy has been telling me all about the yummy fresh salmon next to him......




Hey,  don't stare at me that way!! Fresh fish every  day.. look at the depth of orange in that salmon..






And these golden guys..... they are just... well almost magical.. amazingly cool....



And these lovely cookery folk.. giving out samples and making the most amazingly wonderful smells.... yum.... and smiles too...




Needless to say, I really like Roberts of Dalkey, not only cause his windows are just magic.. and at a level to let dogs look in and have a view at what's going on, but he is a young man, with a dream and a business spirit, and I do hope he has some success...Ok... now... I my nose seems to detect something  sweet going on... hmmm wonder what that could be... must investigate... ..







Now... on the corner of Ulverton Road and Castle st. one finds a scrumptious sweetie shop.. it is magical in that it hold with the old time traditions of shelves and shelves of sweets in large jars.. a happy,.. idealistic place... but unassuming as well..


This is what it looks like from outside... La Bonne Creme has a Facebook page, and an email -lacremebon@gmail.com



Here I am inside.... see the cool shelves behind me???  let's take a closer look at what is on offer...


Oh ya.... I could put a paw or nose in  those... I'm sure any kid at heart could too... they also have some yummy Italian ice cream, and smoothies on offer too..what a treat....



The nice lady from Brazil, who was working there also thought these might be scrumptious as well...






Lots of happy kids with lollys!!!! oh dear.... I think my assistant is moving again... these winter evenings are short and light is scarce so we must hurry on to the last shop we wanted to cover... Just to get us in the mood for Christmas....


The Tramyard Gift Shop


 Oh, Ya.... I love Christmas.... always look forward to the left over candy cane bits and mince pie crumbs.. !!!  This is a tree I found in the Tramyard Gift Shop.  It's a bit late now, but you can see a picture of the shop below... I'm really excited as the Tramyard itself will be having a big Tramyard Christmas party on Dec. 2nd, and Santa is coming too.... in a Tram!!!




The Tramyard Cafe and Gift Shop


This is the sign, and doesn't it look old world Christmassy with the iron railing on top and that beautiful street lamp outside... kinda like Narnia...  anyhow, the Tramyard Website is not quite ready yet, but Dave and Evelyn would be happy to answer any questions, or orders on this email address for the time being.. evelyn.coulson@hotmail.com.  
 


Oh....  see the soft lights inside??? hmmmm I have to go investigate again.. come on assistant get the camera ready.... this is going to be good...

Now, let's see what is on offer around this tree....



Why it is a giant Teddy bear!!!  TeeHee... did you know I have one of these in my own bed??? So soft and warm and cuddly.... many kids would love one...


Look at this bird house all painted up, and the twinkly lights as well... and the holly berries... lucky birds... I wish someone would paint up my doghouse like that for Christmas!!!


Cool Cloth Santas!!!


Hey, how about me under the tree!!!  Bother... no bits of candy cane on the floor here... I'm getting hungry now and it is late so I will say thank you to the nice young lady who let me come in and do my story on this shop...If you are reading this, You should really come and have a look around... I certainly feel like it's Christmas in here..... This is also part of the Tramyard Cafe, and don't forget that the Tramyard Christmas Party will be on Dec. 2nd... That would be a great day/evening out for all the family, and you could pick up a few things in here... anyhow,  let's head for home... It's really getting dark out there.


I just LOVE DALKEY!!!!! People are the friendliest ever here.... and they like dogs.... Teehee... I'm gonna wiggle and wag all over for this kind gentleman... do you think he has a biscuit in his bag??





Ok assistant lets hurry, I am starving now, and it is defo to late to be out and about for me now... I can almost taste/smell my chicken flavoured dog pellets calling me home....  I promise to write a bit more about what's happening in the rest of the Tram yard complex next.... and now.... home to dinner and my Teddy Bear Bed..

No comments:

Post a Comment