Dog Around Town

Dog Around Town
Click on my Image for interesting short history of Dalkey Village, my home town!!

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Dalkey Dog Dawdles around Winter Market(s)

Hi there again!!!  Well, I had an interesting afternoon....following the lead I had from the Gray Seal, and the Dalkey Business Group,  I wandered into Dalkey.  With my assistant of course.. I always need to bring the assistant...  firstly,  they double as my camara crew for capturing me in my exciting adventures, and secondly, it is really the only responsible thing for a Decent Dalkey Dog  to do, bring an asistant..It would never do to leave messes around, (especially on a Market day) and  one of their jobs is to pick up after me. Don't forget to bring the scooper bags!!


I think the route I am going to take will bring us past a castle or two.... coming??  Ok.. we're stepping out!!



Let's hurry now the sun is not going to be here much longer, days are short here in the winter...



Come along... the way to Archibalds Castle, has this lovely old stone wall along the way.. I always stop along here, and then carefully sniff it.  I am sure it is one of Max the Fox's nightly routes as his fur coat has brushed past here...and there has been some cat activity too..hmmm... Doesn't the castle look nice with the sun shining behind it!! This castle is usually closed to the public except on special days, like around Christmas when a live nativity scene is sometime performed within it.. it is one of  a number of castles that were built in Dalkey..


And there it is.. this is where the Winter Market is to be held.  It is on the opposite side of the street to Archibalds Castle.  This one is known as the 'Goat Castle', and is used for many of the towns events.  There are Art Exhibitions, and Karate Classes, the Drama Societies like the Dalkey Players stage  plays.. and of course events like this Market we are trying to get to...

However, the Castles are also of Historical Importance to the Village, and one of the fun things that visitors, or tourists can do when visiting with us is to take the Mideavil tour with the Tudors of Goat Castle, where they get to meet ghostly past residents in full costume, who will show you what it was like living here oh so long ago... they will even take you out back and let you explore the very old graveyard and crumbling St. Begnets Church. I, unfortunatly am NOT allowed in there... oh fudge.. I bet there are some delectable old smells in that place..


Oh dear... what do you mean I can't go to the fair??  I have to sit here?  But I am a good girl...


 Ok...assistant... go ask..I just want a photograph or two... bother...

Oh fudge..these tiles are cold...now where DID that pesky assistant go...will they come back for me?

The market must be VERY good!!  look at all those people...Ah..I see assistant coming.. can I come in?

I guess the nice lady  behind the desk and this one here will be impressed by my goodness and let me see the market for myself..??  Hmm  well a little look will be better than nothing at all.. Aparently even good dogs can only go as far as the door.... bother.. but I can see some lovely jewelry and handbags for sale and toys and... FOOD.... oh some really yummy stuff folks too... my nose is quivering.. and yours would too... Lucky it is on tomorow too...my assistant says they might come back tomorow and have a look around.. Hey that is an idea...Maybe you could too..  I would love to meet you around the town... but hey...OH DEAR... what is that cold smell...


Can you see what it is???  My oh my... a lovely TUDOR LADY GHOST from times gone by... and she is standing right net to me.... oh my oy my... what a treat..... But.. I am feeling a little uncomfortable now so...I might come back and do a post on the castle ghosts sometime, but for now... lets go on to the Dalkey Tram Yard Market shall we?? It is outdoors, and that is really where I feel more comfortable... 


 Oh ya..a REALLY friendly place.... see the tram tracks...there used to be trams to Dalkey many years ago.. this is all that is left of them...  On Saturdays there is a lovely market here with lots of food and stalls.. I will cover it more in depth later, but for now, it is a place where people with a small business idea can come and try it out... The man from the Tramyard Cafe, a spot with REALLY yummy smells coming from it...  kinda runs it... he has a Labrador too..so he's cool....

 Look, there is the OLD TRAM!!! It  is being done up... it is going to be used for the Tram Yard Christmas Party.. on December the 2nd... The man who runs the handmade wooden furniture and toy shop, 'Out of the Woods' and 'Out of the Toy Box'  told me that  he thought that Santa might be using it to get her to the party... Geezz I hope dogs are allowed... I'd love to cover that story...  There is going to be food, and things to buy, and wine and music and festivities in the air...  Tickets go on sale tomorow November the 13th... Boy does that warm sun beam feel good..

 Well I guess I better get going now.... I think I'll come back another day and interview each of the tramyard traders.. I bet each has a lovely story to tell... but before I go I want to visit one more place in here which is a favorite of mine...


 Ohhh..... look... such a  bright and beautiful painting...I think I'll sit right here for a while...you could too!!


Ahhhh.... now that's better..

The Tramyard Art Gallery is great.  Don't you think this painting would look good in MY house?  How about yours?  I love all the small shop keepers in my town...it makes it such a friendly, unusual and unique place... I plan to share some of their stories  with you another time... But for now..the day has been long.. so I'll wag my tail goodby and trot on home to a well deserved Bowl of dog nuggets.  Which by the way, my assistant always buys in our local Pet Shop.  MY favorite shop in town..  (they give me treats.. teehee!)

1 comment: