Dog Around Town

Dog Around Town
Click on my Image for interesting short history of Dalkey Village, my home town!!

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Dalkey Dog Discourse with Market Artists

Hurrya!!! Well, everyone here in Dalkey is so excited about the goings on in the Winter Market, I just had to have another go at seeing what was happening....I have told my assistant to get some good pictures of what is on offer. Many of the Local Artisans here are members of the Craft Council of Ireland and /or other local groups such as the Dun Laoghaire Jewellery Designers.  I can't wait to see if I can get to talk to some of the local artisans, I bet they have some interesting things to tell us about how they came to work at what they do... 


Here we are.. Boy, does it ever look like a good crowd over there.. maybe I can sneak in  with them...???


Now if I just creep along here....by the wall, maybe no one will notice...hmm there are so many folk in there... It does smell like cloves and cinnamon... Hmm lots of Christmas shopping being done I bet!... I think I need a plan...I know!  I'll choose a sample of five artisans and try to interview them.  Their stories will be great to read, and will help to show how creativity, innovation and ingenuity is still alive and kicking in Ireland, and Dalkey!!! now lets see...

Jack B. Kearney-Designer and Wood turner

 
Ahhh,,,, I'm in... now this looks like a cozy place, just look at the lovely soft glow  from those lamps.... ok assistant, lets move in a little closer and get the scoop on this one....and make sure to get some good shots! 


Jack is local to the surrounding area, and told me that he started making these several years ago as a hobby. They are a wonderful example of beautiful but practical pieces of art. He makes them in a shed which is where he works when inspired.  He creates these unique handcrafted lamps using a combination of glass, hardwood and seashells from Ireland and beyond.  They are loosely themed on Irish lighthouses, sea buoys and sea beacons.   Every single one is as unique as the seashells used in their creation.  Jack also told me that he would  be happy to accept commissions and that his lamps are wired to conform with CE Regulations..an important  safety point!!  My nose can smell the shells and the many seas they came from..


Jack also makes a few other items such as these beautiful wooden pens.  To find out what else he can turn his hand to you can visit his website by clicking here, or on his name  above.  Thanks Jack B. Kearney! He also gave me his email address.. info@jbklamps.com  





Ok, assistant, gather the camera equipment, we better move on!!!   I think we'll go by that colourful stand over there, I think it is called "Little Miss Molly".


Valerie Reid- Hand Painted Designs


Val, of Little Miss Molly, is a local Dalkey artist/craftswoman, that  has lived in the village a long time. She hand paints beautiful designs on  sturdy wooden/babychildrens stools, which are great pressies for the birth of a baby or Christianing, they are dated with the child's name..  Oh, and look, there   are some of her  Fantastically colourful flower pots and other items. 




I have asked my assistant to take a few photographs of some of  them.. so neat!..  I am sure some  of the children around my neighborhood would love them...

Just imagine how these would brighten up any garden or indeed interior plant display..The mirror and the tea tray in the background would also be wonderful to grace a wall or serve some guests!!  Magic!!  


Valerie also has told me she does custom work and can be reached by email at hello@littlemissmolly.ie.  You can also see what else may be on offer by clicking on  Little Miss Molly here, to see Val's Website.  Thanks for letting us stop by and photograph your work Val Reid!!  Hang on there, Do I see some bowls over there?




David Kelly- "Boul"- Woodturner

 David is a local artist who uses local wood to produce the most beautiful wooden bowls... the wood grain in each one makes every piece unique...David has been making these for several years now in his spare time, as he also works in another film industry.  



Now bowls are something I can understand...Ruuuuf...look at this one!!  I wonder what kind of sweet music I could play while lapping up some water out of this one??  Sadly, I don't think that my pesky assistant would allow me to have it for that purpose...I never get the nice looking things....bother.... oh oh... look at this one below......





Can you just see what a gorgeous piece of  work this is!! Look at the thickness and clean, smooth lines of the rim.... the beautiful definition between the wood tones of light and dark...and the clever way of handling the natural cracks in the wood by adding a 'touch of  lace' ...looking at it brings a kind of joy to my soul...  if I had to suggest one of these pieces as the one to buy and display somewhere this would be it...sadly though, it would not hold any water!!! teehee...

David does not have his own website yet per say, but he is registered with, and listed on the Craft Council of Ireland's website, you can go there to see many artists that work here in this magical country.  You could also reach him at this email... yodisco@indigo.ie if you'd like.  Maybe one day David will let me meet his partner in art... another trusty, arty Labrador... I don't know why these people don't understand that choosing wood, and softening it nicely with an occasional chew now and then, might not add a bit of 'uniqueness to the pieces...hrrumph.. Thank you Dave for letting me have a sniff around your stall and for taking these lovely photographs.. if your owned by a Labrador, your ok with me!!  Hey, wait up assistant.. What's that?... the sparkly?... ohhhh.. how beautiful....magical... christmasy.... let's get a closer look at this:


Agnes Preece- Stained Glass Lamps
Look at all these designs.. and how wonderfully the light shines through these metal and colourful Stained Glass lamps!!! Agnes was not here to speak to us, but her niece told us that Agnes had begun making these as a hobby, and then friends and relations wanted some and then eventually folk began flocking to her door with orders for more... Now she is a fully fledged Stained Glass Artisan... who also makes glass ornaments to hang around the place. Two of my  can be seen below...




Being a Dog, I love trees.... and especially Christmas trees, as they smell so piney.... this is the twinkly angel that first caught our eye...I'll give it a push with my nose....See how it moves and glitters in the light.. It's almost magical...just imagine it twinkling in  the Christmas lights on a tree... Ahhh....




This one is the most beautiful shad of blue... like the sky.... I can only imagine the beautiful wrought iron whit dove there, just taking off and soaring up through it ... see how the cleverly coloured spots lead a persons vision around the circle to the star?  Circles are sacred in many cultures, and a symbol of unity and peace for many... Thankyou Agnes and your niece.. (so sorry not to have caught your name!).  However if you click on Agnes Preece here, you will see her website, or if you are in a rush for a piece, perhaps you might email her at info@stainedglasslamps.ie.  Bye!.... What's that? You have not had your fill of glass?  Ok, well now here is a different use for it:






Ruizca Ruane- Cadenza Glass Beads



Wow Bow wow.... these are amazing.... Ruizca tells me she is originally from Croatia, and although she lived in Germany many years, she now lives locally and apart from teaching German, follows her true passion which is hand blown glass bead making in the Venetian tradition.  She certainly has a talent.  I wonder what a dog collar made of these would cost?  hmm may not be the best idea, for a girl like me.. teehee... but for many others. what a lovely Christmas present these would be... Ruizca has taken master classes in the craft all over the world... and she tells me that she also gives workshops.  Now wouldn't this be an interesting and unusual thing to learn how to do?... let's have a little look at what they are made of...



These some of the glass rods that she works with they come in many colours.  She says that once you see the molten glass running, it is so exquisitely beautiful, that you can't but help to be hooked on the discipline.. I am truly honored to have met such a fine artisan, and really hope she invites me to sniff around her workshop one day... I would love to see her in action!!  The molten glass is turned into all of these warm and colourful beads with every single one being a unique piece of art in themselves.  Some of these are strung into highly unusual and unique necklaces that would grace the neck of any woman... (or Labrador? please?  No?  oh bother!... ))





Here are a few of the individual samples... see the sea shells?


Here is another necklace.. I wonder how many red glass rods it took to make this one... what a nice piece! I would like to thank Ruizca.  She says if you would like to find out more about her work, and her workshops you can go to Canenza's website, by clicking here, or you could contact her on her email studio@cadenzaglassbeads.com.  Phew, I'm getting a bit tired here... however we have one more Artisan to cover...


Marcella Kirwan- Naked Heart Design- My Guardian Angels

 Boy it does seem to be a year for angels and with our economy, we need all the guardian angels we can get!!..I'd like someone to buy one of these and attach it to my collar!!  They are just so neat!!  Marcella tells me that the idea for these came on a cold winters day last year when she was snowed in with her young daughter... they rummaged around for bits and scraps and came up with these little gems... angels made from cloths pins and all recycled material...and because of this no two are the same.. First her daughter liked them, than friends and relations wanted them, and then before she knew it, people were ordering them.. the birth of a real cottage industry...

 f




Some of the angels have faces and some do not... children may wish to draw their own.. They can be hung anywhere, on a wall as you can see, or in a car, to keep safe... Many folk, though use them as Christmas ornaments hanging from a tree...  



Marcella is a great believer in recycling materials, not only scraps around the house but natural driftwood too.. and although there is not a good picture here of her work in that medium, I can tell you that her driftwood angel relief I saw framed on her stand was stunning... perhaps something for Mom... Marcella's work can be seen on her website Naked Heart Design, or she can also be reached by email info@nakedheart.ie



I hope you enjoyed exploring the Dalkey Winter Market 2011 with me today, It certainly gave me faith in our little town... So many enterprising and innovative people.  I hope it makes you think that it might be one to look out for next year..if I see you there I might even say Ruff to you.. Don't forget that the Dalky Tramyard has a Market every Saturday as well, you can look at the post previous to this one for some info on that... I plan to have another sniff around there in the near future.. They are having a party on Dec 2nd... Yay... I wonder will I be invited?
 Weel,  that's it folks, it's been a long day, and I'm hungry!! I'll say goodbye to you Marcela, say hellow to your dog for me!!  I think we're having Sausages tonite folks from Hicks in Dalkey... so get a move on assistant... or they will all be gone  before I get home....










No comments:

Post a Comment